Have you heard of The Great Pumpkin?
I know I hadn’t until recently and now I just can’t get the idea out of my head. Such a great way to get rid of Halloween candy without causing a breakdown.
Every year on Halloween night, have your kids leave their Halloween loot out on the front porch for The Great Pumpkin. (Kind of like the Tooth Fairy or Santa…) Once the kiddos are in bed, The Great Pumpkin emerges and snatches the great offering. In its place he leaves some long awaited toy (you get the point) to replace the buckets and buckets of candy!
Awesome! I’m so doing this with my kids.
Great Pumpkin Tips:
1. If you’re worried about the kids being on board, make it optional. Chances are, they’ll be so curious about the surprise, they’ll be all over the idea. If not, when siblings get their presents, they’ll have at least learned their lesson for next year!
2. Let the kids each pick 5-10 of their favorite pieces of candy to keep! “Live a little, mom.”
3. You could always have the Tooth Fairy come pick up the loot instead of the Great Pumpkin! That’s a pretty practical mythical creature to use in a case like this. . . She could leave money, just like she does for teeth. . .
4. Have the kids write a letter to The Great Pumpkin, the way they do for Santa for an extra touch of festivity!
5. Parents! Be sure to dig through the goodies and hide a stash of your favorite treats before The Great Pumpkin shows up and walks away with all that deliciousness. . . :)
*Tips borrowed from here